A customer of mine called me over to do some work for her. When I showed up there was a message on her screen that read “Could not initialize license properties [Error 3371,StatusCode -11118] Quickbooks could not load the license data. This may be caused by missing or damaged files.”
She was running Windows XP Profession SP3. The first thing I did was check Windows Update to make sure everything was up to date. It had a few recommended updates to do so I applied them. Then it occurred to me that perhaps the file system had gotten corrupted, so I ran SpinRite to see how the disk was doing. I figured if that came up clean then I would run ChkDsk to address the file system.
In reality I am blogging about this as I wait for the aforementioned updates to finish. Interestingly enough it seems to be helping me to develop a thoughtful strategy for resolving her issue. Before starting this blog I was actually planning to re-install Quickbooks before checking the disk and file system. This is because the Quickbooks support website says this will be necessary. We shall see. Updates just finished. Rebooting…
Spinrite wouldn’t load. Some arcane message that I didn’t write down came up. Skipped that and tried Ultra-X Diagnostic. The hard drive, ram and all other system components seem to be fine. I ran ChkDsk but that didn’t fix the Quickbooks error. I finished reading the Quickbooks instructions and it turns out that there are a few things they had to suggest prior to re-installing. I just had to rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0 to EntitlementDataStore.ecml.old. After that, Quickbooks ran fine and started updating itself.
Aside from Quickbooks, the computer had some junkware that had installed itself since my last visit (despite Norton Internet Security) so I ran Malwarebytes Antimalware, uninstalled what was left and called it a night.